Home Catholic Pilgrimage Church St. Kilian Thursday, 18 August 2022

Show ArchiveEMailPrint

Catholic Pilgrimage Church St. Kilian

Catholic Pilgrimage Church St. KilianMap
Rathgeberstrasse 2
Country: de


After the destruction of the old church due to a double thunder stroke new basements were dug in 1764. In the following year one began to build a new late Rococo-style church under the aegis of the architects Johann Michael und Georg Schmitt of Koenigshofen. The stucco on the ceiling of the nave dates from the time of the construction of the church.

In 1774 the main altar and both sidealtars have been manufactured by the Oberelsbach born carpeter Hans Valentin Katzenberger and the sculptor Caspar Hippeli from Bad Neustadt. The new main altar is a wide structure that consumes the whole choir wall. It consists of six columns and four figures in between, namely St Martin, St Ambrose, St. Augustine and St. Nicolas from left to right. Above sit enthroned the trinity and angels.

In 1775 one erected both sidealtars. In 1786 Johann Peter Herrlein painted the new altar tableau with the martyrdom of the Frankonian apostles. Most probably he also painted the fresco on the ceiling "Glorification of the Holy Frankonian Apostles in Heaven" shortly before. The classicistic pulpit dates from the same time. Already in the 80ies the church had an organ. 

Directions (map & route)

Enter your start address:    

Date Title Venue City Category
No events

Spende mit Paypal

Unterstützen Sie mit Ihrer Spende die Arbeit der Internationalen Valentin-Rathgeber-Gesellschaft e.V.

Amount: EUR

To the Favorites


Who's online?

We have 301 guests online